The Centre for Independent Journalism (CIJ) is looking for a Strategic Communications Programme Officer to plan, implement, and monitor the organization’s communication strategy.
1. Develop the communication strategy and work plan, and coordinate its implementation in line with and to advance CIJ’s vision and mission;
2. Provide media strategy and communications support to all CIJ programmes, including supporting the team in developing the communications and social media plan and content, support in the execution of the project, and conducting an impact assessment, amongst others;
3. Alert the need for and lead the preparation of press statements and other media and communications intervention content and materials in a proactive and timely manner;
4. Develop escalation protocols and manage crisis communication, should they arise;
5. Monitor and ensure documentation and archiving of media materials and intervention made by CIJ to ensure synergy between all programme documentations and facilitate assessment and strategizing;
6. Coordinate with the tech support team to facilitate the maintenance and content update of the CIJ website;
7. Coordinate publication production and other advocacy tools and resources such as video, posters, online apps, etc.
8. Promote communications and expand outreach through appropriate stakeholders and media channels, including social media platforms, messaging groups, newsletters, etc.;
9. Track analytics and create reports detailing successes and failures of communications initiatives and campaigns;
10. Represent CIJ at relevant events or meetings related to media freedoms and freedom of expression, as and when necessary; and
11. Maintain a good knowledge of and awareness of the institutional framework governing media freedom and related rights in Malaysia, including informal constraints, such as media ownership, internet rights, and the political landscape.
1. University degree in journalism, communications, social/political sciences, or other related fields.
2. Previous experience in media or related work for a governmental institution or CSOs is desirable, including in managing and implementing specific communication and content creation projects;
3. Knowledge of human rights, in particular freedom of expression and freedom of information;
4. Fluency in both oral and written Malay and English languages is essential.
Wiki Impact is an online platform dedicated to the impact industry. We share stories and data on issues that matter, highlighting impact-driven organizations and changemakers on the ground. Now, everyone can experience the impact industry, get data to give effectively, and bring more fulfilment and purpose to life.