Mission for the Role
The mission of this role is to drive Teach For Malaysia’s overall strategy, performance, and operations. This role reports directly to the CEO, and plays a central and critical responsibility in the life of a mission-driven, ambitious and innovative organisation that is going through a critical period of
consolidation and growth.
The Finance & Operations Director primarily focuses on (non-exhaustive):
1.Driving implementation of strategies across TFM’s strategic pillars, including generating buy-in from stakeholders to ensure that the organisation is able to effectively translate TFM’s strategic plan into actions with measurable impact.
2.Overseeing all areas of organisational sustainability, implementing any operational changes,and delivering measurable improvements.
3.Leading an organisational transformation journey by designing, improving and
implementing strategic and operational planning & processes.
4.Working with the Chief Executive Officer and Leadership Teams to build the organisation’s culture and chart its course.
5.Providing financial, strategic, governance and operational advisory in assisting the
leadership team to make timely and informed decisions and subsequently to communicate the organisation’s impact to internal and external stakeholders.
Key Measures of Success
● Financial governance as measured by the annual external audit process.
● Financial sustainability as measured by TFM’s cash runway and other financial health indicators.
● Corporate Governance - ensuring full compliance of TFM’s work with the various authorities.
● Staff engagement as measured by an annual staff engagement survey run by BCG.
● Overall efficacy of finance, talent, office management, operations, governance and technology -including ensuring day to day operational excellence and driving strategic thinking in each area
● Overall effectiveness of the strategic planning process and on-going organisational performance
Duties and Responsibilities
We are a fast growing and evolving organisation with more than 70 (and growing) passionate and high performing individuals that come to work every day because of the collective belief in the vision. As the Finance and Operations Director, you will be part of a dynamic senior leadership team that collectively steers Teach For Malaysia. Therefore, we are not only looking for someone with the right technical expertise but also someone who believes in our mission and is committed to embodying our
You are expected to achieve success in your role through a team of 10-11 people and outsourced partners cutting across finance and governance, talent, operations, events, strategy and technology functions. Apart from driving day-to-day operational excellence, you are expected to build a strong team culture – so that they can help other teams to achieve their goals by leveraging on your team’s support. Your ability to manage and lead is therefore crucial. While you don’t need to have expertise in all these areas, expertise in finance, governance is a must while you need to be able to effectively manage the team, stakeholders and individuals with expertise in the other areas.
Your portfolio includes the following:
● Finance (With close working relationship with the fundraising team) - Financial reporting (including audit process), management reporting, budgeting and tracking, setting policies and procedures as well as matters of risk, governance and driving the Audit and Risk Committee agenda; you will be working with a Finance Manager and the Finance team. Additionally, in order to ensure overall organisational sustainability, you will work closely with the fundraising team to develop a diversified and sustainable funding base and generate additional funding opportunities for the organisation, leveraging especially on ESG frameworks.
● Talent - Building a strong culture reflecting the organisation’s core values by overseeing the Talent & Operations team in charge of hiring, on-boarding, talent management and development, performance management, culture building and HR operations as well as driving the Remuneration and Nomination Committee agenda; you will be working with 3-4 staff members in this area.
● Office management & Technology - Ensure smooth running of the office, adherence to statutory and regulatory submissions, maintenance of IT infrastructure, project manage IT initiatives; you will be working with 2 staff members and outsourced service providers / third party vendors in this area.
● Strategic Planning - Drive the setting of our annual and quarterly goals, monitoring progress towards these goals using data on a fortnightly basis as well as the budgeting and capacity planning; you will be facilitating this process with the senior and extended leadership team. In addition, you will also be leading the Extended Leadership Team “ELT” and their respective meetings, to ensure the ELT operates smoothly and conduct an annual evaluation of its effectiveness.
● Organisational Transformation -While some systems and processes are already in place, you are expected to uphold the integrity of existing processes; review, design and implement new systems and processes when needed to continuously improve the overall effectiveness of the organisation.
● Stakeholder Engagement and Organisational Representation - As a senior leadership member, supporting Federal government, Ministry of Education and corporate engagement strategies, building the capacity of the CEO and Senior Leadership Team against those strategies through effective organisational sustainability plans, and performing representational work yourself; Building partnerships that position Teach For Malaysia as a go-to education partner for the MOE and the community.
This role is responsible for overseeing the overall Finance & Operations scope, which covers the following teams: Finance and Governance, Talent, Operations, Technology, Strategy and Events. Additionally, the Head of Finance & Operations is expected to directly manage approximately 3-5 staff members, inclusive of matrix reporting lines.
The existing support for the role includes the Senior Leadership Team as general thought partners,Teach For All network for best practices among peers and consulting firms that have contributed pro-bono services before.
● Minimum experience of 7 years, which includes significant leadership roles, expertise in finance and significant exposure to talent management as well as corporate strategy
● Chartered Accountant qualification is an added advantage
● Exposure to non-profit organisations or social enterprises is desirable
● Experience creating financial models, planning, setting and monitoring budgets.
● Managing people – proven track record in achieving results through a team; able to develop people and team and have difficult conversations when required
● Process expertise – proven track record in designing, implementing, maintaining and
reengineering systems and processes
● A solid understanding of the education sector including key system actors and recent policy directions, is desirable
● Experience engaging with Board of Directors or Board-level executives is highly preferred
● Strong written and verbal skills and excellent proficiency in English and Bahasa Malaysia.
● Ways of working that are aligned with TFM’s core values:
o Collaborative approach – Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with all levels of employees and stakeholders
o Continuous learning – drive continuous learning to advance our organisation
o Solution driver – ability to formulate and implement effective solutions
o High performing – set high standard and ability to persist through challenges and
o Aligned to TFM Core Values: Sense of Possibility, Excellence, Collaboration & Integrity
o Passion for TFM’s mission, the education field, and developing people’s potential
o Ability to be adaptable in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and dynamic environment
o Able to think strategically, critically, innovatively, and in a resourceful manner
Wiki Impact is an online platform dedicated to the impact industry. We share stories and data on issues that matter, highlighting impact-driven organizations and changemakers on the ground. Now, everyone can experience the impact industry, get data to give effectively, and bring more fulfilment and purpose to life.
Ⓒ 2024 All rights reserved Made with ❤️ by Rootcode